Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Only Wide Eyes For You

10/19 Show
Of particular note this week:

- Devendra Banhart has been on a bit of a roll lately, what with his stellar remix of Phoenix & a few of the sampler tracks from his upcoming album What Will We Be (Oct. 27th). I especially like this propulsive, sing-a-long track that seems tailor-made for driving: "16th & Valencia Roxy Music". I'm officially looking forward to the release date.

- Woods stopped by the Daytrotter.com studios to record some sterling songs. Especially check out "Suffering Season".

- Really liking the new track from Local Natives: "Wide Eyes". These guys have a promising future ahead of them.

- The Tallest Man on Earth also recently recorded at Daytrotter, notably covering Bob Dylan's "I Want You".

- "Plodding, space-jam" sounds about right for this one: check out Tickley Feather's "Don't Call, Marilyn"

- Summer Camp covers a song The Flamingos made famous 50 years ago: "I Only Have Eyes for You". Interesting, but I'll take the original.

Got two requests today: MGMT's "Kids" & The Killers' "All These Things That I've Done" (you know, the "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier" one). I heard Phish is considering covering MGMT's Oracular Spectacular for its Halloween show this year. I politely ask them to reconsider, seeing as there are only 4 good songs on the album.

Also, I helped reunite a lost dog with its owner, thus illustrating the power of community radio. Makes you feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

Check out the full playlist

2 comments:

kyle said...

Nice job reuniting the dog, Hansbrough.
I bet Tyler actually knows it's the Killers who sang "ATTTID", and not Kings of Leon...who have recorded more recent audio assaults on my listening pleasure.

Grant said...

duly noted & corrected... they are both filed under "Bands Past Their Prime" in my head