With 2009 winding down, I tried to put together a show filled with many of my favorite songs of the year. Unfortunately, two hours was not nearly enough time to fit in all of the good stuff, so don't read the playlist as a definitive list. If you listen to the show regularly, you've heard most of these tunes before, but that doesn't mean you don't need to hear them over and over and over.
There was also some new music played this week:
- Ridiculously late on this one, but if haven't yet heard Charlotte Gainsborough's "IRM" (with help from Beck), follow the link(s) to download it now. It's really good.
- Fast, loose, fun: Harlem's "Friendly Ghost". And their album is named Hippies. What could be better?
- Surf, garage & punk rolled into one. Nothing new, in fact it almost sounds like a Soft Pack song (see below). Dirt Dress: "Sonic Death"
- The Fresh & Onlys, yet another band that can't afford a proper recording studio this year: "Second One to Know"
- Denmark quintet Oh No Ono will release their self-produced album Eggs early next year. Put it on your list. "Helplessly Young"
- Belle & Sebastian influences all over this one, with even more of a 60s pop sound: Gigi's "The Old Graveyard". The second song on this post to sing about graveyards.
- I'm a fan of the Soft Pack, and now we have a studio recording of "C'mon" to go with that Laundromatinee session a while back.
- Broken Social Scene member Jason Collett is preparing to release Rat a Tat Tat this coming March. Check out the R&B influenced "Love is a Dirty Word".
Coming soon... Music Is My Girlfriend's Top Albums of 2009