Friday, April 25, 2008

Dear Yeasayer,

Notes from Man Man / Yeasayer @ Bluebird, Denver 4/20/08

Dear Yeasayer,

I was quite excited to see you on the bill with Man Man, and you didn't let me down. You didn't blow me away either, but you did put forth an entertaining and engaging set. Your "hits" 2080 and Sunrise came across sounding clean and exciting live, although I was hoping to see a kids' choir appear during the chanting climax of 2080. Alas, you were an opening band and such lavish stage theatrics just don't come with the territory. I also have fond memories of your live performance of Germs, whose Eastern-inspired licks and band-encompassing, chanting melody got the crowd's attention. No Need to Worry and Wintertime were memorable as well. Actually, now that I think about it, I didn't dislike any of your set.

While providing unremarkable vocals and capably pressing buttons, lead singer Chris Keating seems to enjoy flailing around, approximating what I imagine Thom Yorke would look like in concert. Drummer Luke Fasano does a great job recreating your beats in a live setting. I was initially disappointed to see him using so many electronic apparatuses, but as the set went on a nice balance was struck between the traditional drum kit and its digital brothers. (At one point during a staccato, electronically-driven beat accompanied by Keating's bob-happy keyboard playing, I was oddly reminded of Devo and how great it would have been to see them live. Sarah Jessica Parker was a lucky girl).

On a non-performance related note, it was nice to see several of you taking in Man Man's set from the wings. I don't recommend that you strictly follow their live energy (as it wouldn't wholly mesh with your sound), but I'm sure you could learn a thing or two.

Sincerely,
Grant

P.S. Your bassist Ira Wolf Tuton is a creep.

Pitchfork review of All Hour Cymbals
Yeasayer photos from Brooklyn 2/14/08
Man Man / Yeasayer photos from Minneapolis 4/18/08

No comments: