Of particular note this week:
- My friend Alex turned me onto Edwarde Sharpe & the Magnificent Zeros during his visit to Crested Butte. As many others have said, they have sort of a Devendra-Banhart-meets-Arcade-Fire sound. I'd say their album Up From Below has a number of standout tracks you should listen to, including "40 Day Dream", "Janglin" & "Home". NPR has a short article on them.
- Another track from Port O'Brien's new album Threadbare is making the rounds. I'm rather excited about this one: "My Will is Good"
- Excellent new song from Volcano Choir, featuring Wisconsin's most popular cabin-dweller, Bon Iver. Good stuff here: "Island, IS"
- Pulsing, beautiful acoustic jam: Taken By Trees - "Watch the Waves"
- Another quality free mix from Urban Outfitters = LSTN #6. Be sure to check out Fool's Gold & Fortune Teller, among many other artists you've already heard about on this site.
- Awesomeness ensues when two of the best "garage" acts around (Black Lips + King Khan) combine to form The Almighty Defenders. Download two tracks from their upcoming release here (scroll down a bit).
- Another lo-fi, psychedelic summer jam from Family Portrait = "On the Floor"
- Evidently no one can afford quality sound recording equipment this summer:, making lo-fi the true sound of the recession. Check out this hummable tune from Small Black: "Despicable Dogs"
- Gentle Friendly are some London dudes drawing comparisons to Animal Collective, which doesn't immediately spark my interest. This song, however, does ever so slightly: "RIP Static"
- Quality americana-folk-rock storytelling: These United States - "I Want You to Keep Everything"
Check out the full playlist