Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I Can't Whistle

Last night I broadcast my first themed edition of Music is My Girlfriend. As a music fan, I am wildly ashamed of my inability to whistle (being that whistling is one of the basest human reactions to music, no?). To expose this great inadequacy and hopefully overcome it, I dedicated my entire show to songs that feature whistling in them. I also asked listeners to call in with tips and suggestions on how to whistle. Drew and Josh were in the studio for most of the show to ridicule me and show off their whistling talents. Alas, after 2 hours of practice I still am no closer to making that sweet whistling sound.

Nevertheless, we did lay down some great tracks (with a little dose of cheeseball just to keep things in order). Here's the tracklist:

Artist / Song / Album

Roger Miller / Whistle-Stop (formerly known on this blog as "Robin Hood Theme"
Andrew Bird / Simple X / Armchair Apocrypha
Beck / Sissyneck
Man Man / Van Helsing Boombox / 6 Demon Bag
Theme to Andy Griffith Show
Peter Bjorn and John / Young Folks / Writer's Block
Elvis / A Whistling Tune
John Phillip Sousa / Colonel Bogey's March (Theme from Bridge Over the River Kwai)
Pixies / La La Love You
Bobby McFerrin / Don't Worry Be Happy
Taj Mahal / Ain't Gwine Whistle Dixie (Any Mo) / Best of Taj Mahal
Elliott Smith / Jealous Guy
Paul Simon / Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
Harlem Globetrotters / Sweet Georgia Brown
*this song prompted poorly executed freestyle bball moves to break out in the studio
Dr. John / Big Chief
Bernard Herrman / Twisted Nerve
Supertramp / Goodbye Stranger
Girl Talk / Minute by Minute
*I highly doubt the previous 3 songs have ever been played on the radio in succession before
Otis Redding / Sittin on the Dock of the Bay
Cat Power / After It All / The Greatest
Guns N Roses / Patience / Live Era 87-93
Andrew Bird / Dark Matter / Armchair Apocrypha
Built to Spill / Broken Chairs
Beatles / Two of Us / Let it Be
Lovin Spoonful / Daydream
J. Geils Band / Centerfold
Bangles / Walk Like an Egyptian
Gaslight Guzzlers / Whistlin' Col.
Professor Longhair / Big Chief
John Lennon / Jealous Guy
They Might Be Giants / Whistlin in the Dark
*the first song I played which did not feature whistling
Cansei De Ser Sexy / Music is my Hot Hot Sex / CSS

There it is. I had fun, even if I had a relative lack of callers. One caller did suggest that I imagine I am kissing a beautiful girl when trying to whistle. This did not help.

Finding whistling songs was alot harder than I imagined, but luckily I had some help. Thanks to Gary for sending me a whistlin' mix a year or so ago that spawned this idea and contributed many of the great tunes. Also thanks to Pete, Drew, Josh and Ryan for their help.

1 comment:

tom said...

sounds like i missed a fun show. i'm tuning in next week!