Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sans iPod, Computer, Plan

Normally I prepare for my show on Monday afternoon after I get off work around 4pm. I peruse my favorite websites for worthwhile downloads and listen to albums I may have ripped the previous week while at the studio. Unfortunately, around 12:30, while at Teo, I realized I had signed up to work a double at Teo that day. Thus, I got out of work at 10:10 and hustled down to the studio without iPod, computer, new downloads, or a plan at all. For the first time in many moons I had to resort to using only CDs in the KBUT collection. Its a very large collection with dozens of new CDs added each week, but it certainly altered my show. The spontaneous nature of the show allowed me ample time to sample local favorite Spring Creek Bluegrass Band's new album, which is quite enjoyable.


This week's Bad Album Cover is a period piece, of sorts. Who could look at that excellent flat-top and not instantly think of 1989? Its a time capsule from the cumulative year of the 80s, starring the not-then-famous Jay-Z (alias in '89: JAZ), who for some bizarre reason does not appear on the album cover. Lucky for you guys, I snapped a picture of the back cover.

Anyhow, because I used only CDs (and not readily available mp3s), there are no downloads this week. Sorry.

Artist / Song

Flight of the Conchords / Business Time *for Drew
Los Campesinos! / Don't Tell Me to Do the Math(s)
White Stripes / Hotel Yorba
Tokyo Police Club / Be Good (RAC mix)
Vampire Weekend / I Stand Corrected
State Bird / An Accident in the Woods
Tapes n Tapes / Just Drums
What Made Milwaukee Famous / For the Birds
Shins / Fighting in a Sack
DeVotchKa / Transliterator
Working for a Nuclear Free City / Sarah Dreams of Summer
Die! Die! Die! / Sideways Here We Come
Raveonettes / Aly, Walk with Me
Shaky Hands / Why and How Come
Spring Creek Bluegrass Band / Fiddler's Banjo
Beach House / Holy Dances
Spring Creek Bluegrass Band / Hello Operator
Spring Creek Bluegrass Band / That Dog'll Hunt
Kinks / The Village Green Preservation Society
Stephan Malkmus & the Jicks / Gardenia
Vampire Weekend / M79
Los Campesinos! / Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats
Working for a Nuclear Free City / Apron Strings
State Bird / The Hollerin' Mountains
Hot Chip / Hold On
Crystal Castles / Courtship Dating
M.I.A. / Paper Planes (DFA remix)
N.E.R.D. / She Wants to Move (DFA remix)
Crystal Castles / Magic Spells
Daft Punk / Around the World/Harder Better Faster Stronger (Alive 2007)

No comments: