Wednesday, August 29, 2007

New Music Pairs

As I said last week, there are alot of good new albums in the studio right now. I decided to highlight a bunch of these artists this week by playing a new track of theirs paired with an older track. Things went pretty well, but it was a pretty quiet night in the studio. Pairs lasted until I played two new tracks by the Papercuts, then a couple of single tracks that have caught my ear over the past week or so.

Last week I said I was really digging the new Bishop Allen album, "The Broken String", but I feel I should retrace my steps. The first several tracks are really amazing, but it kindof falls off from there. Instead, pick up Earlimart's new album, "Mentor Tormentor". Earlimart was friends with Elliott Smith, and you can hear some similarities in a few of their songs. Many, however, are more upbeat and more fully orchestrated than Smith's. It's a good album.

As for the downloads, I added links to the bands myspace page if I couldn't find a direct download of the song. I only did this when the song is previewable on myspace. They are labeled differently so you can choose whether you want to deal with myspace or not (I think myspace is the most poorly designed web phenonmena in history, so I try to avoid going there as much as possible) . Enjoy the downloads!

Artist / Song

Bishop Allen / Rain
Bishop Allen / Another Wasted Night
Okkervil RIver / Black
Okkervil River / Plus Ones (myspace)
Architecture in Helsinki / The Cemetary
Architecture in Helsinki / LIke it Ar Not (myspace)
Bonde Do Role / Montagem Do Cobra
Bonde Do Role / Marina Do Bairro
Minus the Bear / Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse
MInus the Bear / Knights (myspace)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs / Down Boy (myspace)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs / Cheated Hearts
Imperial Teen / Everything
Imperial Teen / Ivanka
Tegan + Sara / Walking with A Ghost (Miami Horror remix)
TEgan + Sara / Back in Your Head (myspace)
Rogue Wave / Lake Michigan
Rogue Wave / Bird on a Wire
Jose Gonzalez / Down the Line (myspace)
Jose Gonzalez / Heartbeats
Iron + Wine / Boy with a Coin
Iron + Wine / Bird Stealing Bread
Earlimart / Nothing is True
Earlimart / Sounds
Interpol / Who Do You Think
Interpol / Slow Hands
Papercuts / John Brown
Papercuts / Take the 227th Exit
Pseudosix / Under the Waves
Ra Ra Riot / Each Year
Earlimart / Cold Cold Heaven
Brazos / Hands Up, Little Gun
Schooner / Carrboro

No comments: