Friday, August 10, 2007

Pledge Drive Show #1

As our bi-annual pledge drive churns forward (and nears it goal) at KBUT, allow me to file a report on my first experience doing a pledge drive show. Such a show is quite different from a normal shift on the radio, mainly because you end up talking between every one or two songs as you plead with and entice folks to call up and pledge money to the station. These shows take a bit more planning, as you have to get all of your premiums in order and be rather on top of it as you talk about said premiums. I offered up my album of the year, LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver, for a $40 Basic Membership pledge, but had no takers. In fact, I really didn't have any strangers calling in to pledge (late night shows are notorious for their slow earnings). Thankfully, I did have a lot of support from friends and family and fellow KBUT DJs. Per my calculation, I raised over $300 for the station last Monday night, making my show the most lucrative late night show for the week. Thanks to everyone who helped out in making last Monday a success!

As for the show itself, it was downright out of control. Early in the week I had a conversation with Erin, our Program Director, about my Call-In Karaoke idea. She thought is was terrific, and it turns out most of the other employees of the station agreed. I made several pitches on the air emploring listeners to be the first ever "Call-In Karaoker" in KBUT history (for a mere $25 pledge). Alas, we had no willing partcipants. Instead, after downing a couple of beers, we had a studio of about 8 people singing along terribly to "Tiny Dancer". I shudder when I think about how we sounded over the air. If there was ever a show that I should have recorded, it was this one.

In addition to the many premiums that KBUT and generous local businesses provide for pledges, I decided to throw my own into the mix. For a $150 pledge, I will mail a monthly compilation CD of the newest of new music to the lucky pledger. For $225, they get an entire year's worth. I know it sounds a little steep, but consider that most pledges yield a premium worth about half the value of the pledge. Pledges, first and foremost, are a donation to KBUT. Its something to feel good about, not a way to score a screaming deal from local businesses. Anyhow, I did have one taker for this premium (well, actually two people are splitting the pledge, but I'll allow it).

On to the playlist! I started off with a generous portion of new music (save for the Kinks track), and slowly resorted to some of my safe picks. As the night wore on, we decided to keep on playing until 1:30am, finishing off with a solid half hour of Michael Jackson's greatest hits. It earned my show and extra $40 pledge, so I think it was worth it. Thanks to everyone who stopped by, including Kellan, Kristen, Mark, Drew, Dave, Greg, and anyone who I am forgetting at this time.

Artist / Song
The Kinks / This Time Tomorrow
Midlake / Roscoe
Arthur and Yu / Lion's Mouth
Oh No! Oh My! / Walk in the Park
Black Lips / Katrina
Richard Swift / Most of What I Know
Pelle Carlberg / Clever Girls Like Clever Boys Much More Than...
Okkervil River / Our Life is Not a Movie Or Maybe
Throw Me the Statue / Lolita
Feist / I Feel It All
Architecture in Helsinki / The Same Old Innocence
Arthur & Yu / 1000 Words
Metric / Soft Rock Star
Elton John / Tiny Dancer *in-studio sing along
Black Lips / Cold Hands
LCD Soundsystem / Someone Great
Loggins & Messina / House at Pooh Corner *request from Mark
Regina Spektor / Real Love *request from Kristen
Irene / By Your Side
Muscles / Ice Cream *request from Brooke
Simian Sjoberg / Track 4
Oh No! Oh My! / Walk in the Park *yes, i played this earlier
Belle & Sebastian / Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying
Say Hi to Your Mom / Let's Talk About Spaceships
Arcade Fire / Well and the Lighthouse *request from Greg
The Beatles / Hey Jude
The Kinks / Village Green Preservation Society
John Denver / Rocky Mountain High
Van Morrison / Sweet Thing *request from Amber
Leo Kottke / When Shrimps Learn to Whistle *request from Drew
Talking Heads / Don't Worry About the Government
Michael Jackson / Billie Jean
MJ / Thriller
MJ / Man in the Mirror *request from Josh
MJ / Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
MJ / P.Y.T.
Nelly Furtado / Say it Right

No comments: